Unless you already have a visa that allows you to live and work in the USA, you will need to start doing your research on visa options. To be sure that you are getting the most up to date information, go to the US Department of State website at https://travel.state.gov/. You can also try the Department's Visa Wizard to help you figure out what visa options you have - see https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/general/visa-wizard.html.
Irish American support organisations are a good way to find out more about where you want to do & many run activities which can help you meet people when you are there. We have a list of these at www.migrantproject.ie/index.php/emigrating/irish-support-organisations-abroad.
J-1 and graduates
- If you are a recent graduate from a QQI Level 6 course or higher check out our leaflet on the Intern Work and Travel Programme, a 12 month US visa for Irish graduates.
- We also have information on the Diversity Visa Programme (the Green Card lottery). The D.V. Programme for 2018 is now closed. There is currently no information on when the 2019 programme will open but to get updated information on this, see https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/.
- If you are going to the USA on a J-1 Visa, read the Coalition of Irish Immigration Centers leaflet by clicking here. You can also check out this great guide from the Union of Students in Ireland (USI) at http://bit.ly/1NxRyNn.
If you are already living in the USA and would like some information on applying for an Irish State pension, take a look at our 'Claiming an Irish State pension when living in the USA' leaflet.
Our ‘Going to the USA’ booklet is a little outdated but will give you an overview of the sort of things to consider if you are thinking of going to the USA. The useful links below will also help you to find up to date information to help you plan your move to the USA.
- Embassy of the United States - 42 Elgin Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4
Visa Info line: 1580 47 8472 (€2.40 p/min)
- Irish Embassy and Consulates in the USA: www.dfa.ie/embassies/irish-embassies-abroad/north-and-central-america/united-states-of-america/
- US Department of State visa information: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en.html
- US Citizenship and Immigration Services: www.uscis.gov/
- Electronic System for Travel Authorisation: https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/ or
- Official DV Lottery Website: www.dvlottery.state.gov/
- J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Programme:http://j1visa.state.gov/
- Travel advice for J-1 students
- J-1 Guide from the Union of Students of Ireland
- Coalition of Irish Immigration Centres:www.ciic-usa.org/
- Find your local Irish Centre: www.ciic-usa.org/whoweare_findcenter.html
- Irish Apostalate USA: www.usairish.org
- Failte 32:www.failte32.org/
- Travel Advice for the USA:www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/united-states-of-america/
- US Yellow Pages: www.yellowpages.com/
- Advice on driving in the USA: www.theaa.ie
- North American GAA www.northamericangaa.com
- Irish Network Dublin - supporting Irish professionals moving to the US: http://irishnetworkdublin.com/
- Job searching: www.jobbydoo.com and www.jobisjob.co.uk