If you are thinking of going to Australia, start by doing some research on the various visa options available to you as an Irish citizen. Full details of these are available on the website of the Australian Government Department of Immigration and Citizenship at www.border.gov.au.
If you are thinking of going on a Working Holiday, take a look at our Guide to Working Holidays.
The Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417) is an option for people aged 18 to 30, but there are also other short term options like the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457), which allows skilled workers work for an approved business in Australia for up to four years. Permanent options are also available mainly to independent and sponsored skilled workers. To get an idea of which visas may be avilable to you, try this tool from the Department of Immigration and Citizenship - www.border.gov.au/visas/Pages/StandAloneVisaFinder.aspx. If you are thinking of using a Visa Agent or Migration Specialist to help you with your visa application, make sure that they are registered with the Office of Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) - see www.mara.gov.au for more information.
Irish Australian support organisations are a good way to find out more about your chosen location & many also run activities which can help you meet people in your local area. We have put together a list of these at www.migrantproject.ie/index.php/emigrating/irish-support-organisations-abroad.
For information on working in Australia's Fly-In Fly-Out (FIFO) sector, see www.migrantproject.ie/fifo.
Our ‘Going to Australia’ booklet is a little outdated but will give you an overview of the sort of things to consider if you are thinking of going to Australia. The useful links below will help you to find up to date information to help you plan your move to Australia, and you can also check out this excellent Australia guide by the Irish Times Abroad at www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/abroad/australia.
Department of Immigration and Citizenship Contact Centre, London
Australian High Commission, Australia House, Strand, London WC2B 4LA
Tel: +44 207 856 1563
- Official Australian Govt Immigration Dept: www.border.gov.au
- Working Holiday Visas: www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visi/Visi/Working-holidayorWork-and-holiday-visas
- Australian Government Services: www.australia.gov.au/
- Australian Tax Office: www.ato.gov.au
- Australian Embassy Ireland: www.ireland.embassy.gov.au
- Irish Consular Services in Australia: www.dfa.ie/embassies/irish-embassies-abroad/asia-and-oceania/australia/
- Embassy of Ireland in Australia: www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/australia/
- New to Australia - information from the Irish Embassy in Canberra: www.dfa.ie/irish-embassy/australia/our-services/new-to-australia
- Registered Migration Agents: www.mara.com.au/
- Information on using a Migration Agent: www.border.gov.au/Trav/Visa/Usin
- Travel advice for Australia: www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/a-z-list-of-countries/australia/
- Irish times guide to moving to and working in Australia: www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/generation-emigration/destinations/australia
- Advice on driving in Australia: www.theaa.ie
- Information guide on moving to Western Australia
- Information guide on moving to Brisbane
- Information on your work rights in Australia
- Information on doing regional work in Australia
- Irish Around Oz blog and forum: http://irisharoundoz.com/blog/
- Australasia GAA: http://international.gaa.ie/clubs/australia/
- Australian Yellow Pages: www.yellowpages.com.au
- Irish Echo - Australia's Irish Newspaper: www.irishecho.com.au
- List of Irish Support Organisations in Australia